Need gift ideas for Muslim friends?...

...My husband is currently deployed overseas, and has a Islamic interpreter who has been so very helpful to my husband and I. He has recently given beautiful gifts to me and my husband and I would like to return the favor by sending him something unique and family oriented, but I do not want to overstep the boundaries of his Islamic faith. What would be a good gift idea to give to him and his family, without being offensive to his beliefs?

Please keep in mind I am sending this overseas, and it needs to travel well. Thank you!

"What a nice idea. I would say to just stay away from something that contains or concerns alcohol, pork, nudity, something too personal, Christian or Jewish themed items/tones, etc. If they have children, I would stay away from some of the BRATS, Barbie, and other types of dolls or overly violent games. I had once purchased a back-pack with Tinkerbell on it and I got a raised eyebrow from the mother until she realized it was a "Fairy." She had come across other Disney Characters, but not Tinkerbell. I have found that coloring books for children are good (unless they are Precious Moments). My friend's daughter also really liked My Little Pony.

Does the family include a small child and would like to send a Pooh Bear? Is there something unique from your hometown/country that would be special? Is there something that the family cant get, but would like? I once had my one friend beg me for an adapter that would allow his iPod to play over his car radio b/c he couldn't get anything from Apple in Iraq. He also asked for a hat from a local university.

I'm not sure if you are American or not, but some things that might be good would be a hand-made quilt or needlepoint, perhaps a hand-made shaker basket or other type of American made basket, perhaps some toys for the kids, what about an American cookbook with measuring cups and spoons? I gave a friend a Bundt Cake pan, a recipe book, and a mix; they seemed to like it. Perhaps some native American jewelry or the like. Is there something from your state that is specific? For example, Vermont has those great Maple Syrup hard candies. If they have small kids maybe a Winnie the Pooh or Mickey Mouse would be good. Also some Dr. Seuss books might be a cute idea.

Before you think about what would be appropriate, first think about what you would like to get the family. And then, think about would it be offensive. I have found that we are more similar than different.

Good luck!"
(chosen answer)

0 comments: